Gastric Bypass: What You Need To Know
According to an article sourced from UCLA Health, gastric bypass surgery (GBS) is a type of bariatric or weight loss surgery.
During a gastric bypass, your physician makes changes to your stomach and small intestine to change the way they absorb and digest food.
A gastric bypass aids with weight loss by restricting the amount of food your stomach can hold, limiting the number of calories and nutrients your body can absorb, and changing your gut hormones.
Who needs gastric bypass surgery?
Gastric bypass surgery is prescribed to treat the following conditions:
- It is needed to treat morbid obesity. If you have a body massage index greater than 40, it is recommended you have a GBS
- Patients with type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is a form of diabetes characterized by high blood sugar, insulin resistance, and a relative lack of insulin. Patients with type 2 diabetes are ripe for a gastric bypass.
- People who have hypertension. Hypertension, also known as high blood pressure is a long-term medical condition where one’s blood pressure is consistently elevated in the arteries. Those diagnosed with hypertension are encouraged to undergo a gastric bypass to avoid the risks of having greater health challenges.
- Those with sleep apnea. This is a sleeping disorder characterized by pauses in breathing or shallow breathing when one is asleep. If it occurs more often than normal, you need gastric bypass surgery.
- Those with comorbid health conditions should endeavor to call our medical doctors for consultations and a potential gastric bypass.
Importance of a gastric bypass
- It helps in reducing excess weight.
- In over 70% of patients, a GBS corrects hyperlipidemia.
- It relieves one of high blood pressure
- One’s sleep pattern is improved.
- Type 2 diabetes is reversed in up to 90% of patients, etc.
What is the cost of having a gastric bypass?
The cost of a gastric bypass surgery varies. It depends on the region it is to be conducted, the surgical practice and hospital in which the operation is to be performed, and the method of payment.
It is recommended you contact Prestige Home Health Care for your gastric bypass surgical needs. We are a well-functioning, affordable and reliable clinic working tirelessly to give patients the healthy life and body goals they desire. Contact us now!