[Infographic] The Consequences of Impaired Driving

[Infographic] The Consequences of Impaired Driving


The Consequences of Impaired Driving

Setting out on a road trip opens up a world of adventure—discovering new destinations, reconnecting with distant friends, or simply enjoying local sights. However, this freedom is overshadowed by the grim reality of impaired drivers, turning the road into a dangerous place.

Let’s explore the various forms of driving impairment and their significant impact on everyone traveling the highways.

Alcohol is a major contributor to impaired driving, responsible for 30% of all traffic-related fatalities in the United States. Alarmingly, an alcohol-related car crash claims a life every 39 minutes in this country.

In 2020, 62% of those killed in alcohol-impaired driving crashes were the impaired drivers themselves, while the remaining 38% were passengers, occupants of other vehicles, or pedestrians.

Drugs are another major cause of driving impairment. Marijuana, for example, slows reaction times, impairs decision-making, and affects coordination and perception. More potent drugs like cocaine and illicit amphetamines further impair driving by disrupting attention, memory, and other cognitive functions both short- and long-term.

Prescription and over-the-counter medications can also impair driving, causing sleepiness, blurred vision, and reduced coordination. Using multiple substances, such as combining alcohol and marijuana, can greatly increase the level of impairment.

Fatigue is a subtler yet significant cause of driving impairment. Shockingly, 1 in 25 drivers is either drowsy or fatigued, increasing the risk of accidents. Drivers with only four hours of sleep have an 11.5 times higher risk of crashing compared to those who get a full eight hours of rest.

Preventing the negative effects of impaired driving requires everyone to act responsibly. Avoiding driving under the influence and ensuring adequate sleep are crucial steps each driver can take to reduce risks and maintain road safety.

For more information on other causes of impaired driving, such as distractions and adverse weather, check out the accompanying resource.

Infographic provided by Van Sant Law, one of the top car injury attorneys in Atlanta

Resources

https://www.cdc.gov/transportationsafety/impaired_driving/impaired-drv_factsheet.html



Source link

Leave A Reply