Livial 2.5 mg tablet active substance is: tibolone.
This medicine is a Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT). It contains tibolone, a substance that has favourable effects on different tissues in the body, such as brain, vagina and bone. This medicine is used in postmenopausal women with at least 12 months (1 year) since their last natural period.
This medicine is used to relieve symptoms occurring after menopause. During the menopause, the amount of the oestrogen produced by a woman’s body drops. This can cause symptoms such as hot face, neck and chest (“hot flushes”). Livial alleviates these symptoms after menopause. You will only be prescribed this medicine if your symptoms seriously hinder your daily life. Prevention of osteoporosis. After the menopause some women may develop fragile bones (osteoporosis). You should discuss all available options with your doctor. If you are at an increased risk of fractures due to osteoporosis and other medicines are not suitable for you, you can use Livial to prevent osteoporosis after menopause.
How to use
The dosage is one tablet per day. The tablets should be swallowed with some water or other drink, preferably at the same time every day. For initiation and continuation of treatment of postmenopausal symptoms, the lowest effective dose for the shortest duration should be used. A separate progestogen should not be added with Livial treatment.
• Pregnancy and lactation
• Known, past or suspected breast cancer– Livial increased the risk of breast cancer recurrence in a placebo controlled trial
• Known or suspected oestrogen-dependent malignant tumours (e.g. endometrial cancer)
• Undiagnosed genital bleeding
• Untreated endometrial hyperplasia
• Previous or current venous thromboembolism (deep venous thrombosis, pulmonary embolism)
• Known thrombophilic disorders
• Any history of arterial thromboembolic disease (e.g. angina, myocardial infarction, stroke or TIA)
• Acute liver disease, or a history of liver disease as long as liver function tests have failed to return to normal
• Hypersensitivity to the active substance(s) or to any of the excipients